Precision Collet Chucks
Northfield Collet Chucks provide simple workholding applications for a variety of part sizes that require a significant amount of clamp force. Northfield Collet Chucks use the same adapter, rotary union, and air tube as our precision air chucks and diaphragm chucks. It is easier to change collet sizes and adjust grip force for different applications with a Northfield Collet Chuck than it is for most hydraulic style collet chucks.INTERNAL COLLET CHUCK OVERVIEW
Northfield has a custom line of internal collet grip chucks available. These chucks are specifically designed for custom applications, allowing a delicate or aggressive part holding technique with the same accuracy as an external grip collet chuck.
For any custom chucks, contact Northfield Engineering staff for additional information. (LINK)STANDARD FEATURES
- Air Actuated - Air driven actuation is easier and cleaner than hydraulic actuation because it does not require a hydraulic pump, which means more control with the grip force - allowing a range of aggressive to delicate part gripping. It's also simpler to set up.
- Additional Actuation Options - There are multiple ways to power the Northfield Precision Air chuck including spring clamp- air open, or air clamp-spring open. Plus, other custom actuation applications upon request.
- External Grip (Accepts Standard Collets) - Collet jaws are screwed inside the internal diameter and accept the standard industry collets: 3C, 5C, 16C, 3J, 25C, any other types.
- Internal Grip - The internal collet chuck is used for gripping the internal diameter of workpieces and pulling the work piece face against a dead stop. Accepts J-Loc internal grip collets.
- Stationary Capable - All Northfield chucks can be used for stationary applications as well as rotating applications.
- Rotary Tables - Northfield chucks are capable of being used on 5-axis machines.
- Dead Stop - Your part is banked against a fixed stopping surface that ensures the part doesn’t move during the application.
- Hardened and Ground Chuck Components - Northfield's chucks are developed using high strength alloy steels with all critical components hardened and ground to various Rockwell "C" scales.
- 4 in. (100mm) - Recommended size if you have a smaller product or if you are strictly working with 5C or 3C collets.
- 6 in. (150mm) - Recommended size if you have a larger product and/or want to be able to grip the full suite of standard collets (including 3J and 16C).
- Dead Stop - Your part is banked against a stopping surface that ensures the part doesn't move during the application, and has a consistent datum location.
- Spring Clamp - If there is an air failure, a spring closed chuck will not release the workpiece.
- Coolant or Air Passages (popular option) - Coolant through can be used for flushing chips away from the chuck. Alternatively, can be used for detecting if a part is properly seated.
- Quick Change Body - Fast changeover chucks for reduced set-up time, which requires no reboring of jaws.
- Specialty Application Collets - Custom designed, hardened and ground workholding collets to meet your product's needs.
- Drawbar Operated - Manual drawbar solid or tube.
- Air Detect/Part Seat Sensing - Part seat sensing is a safety measure that tells the machine that the part is clamped properly in the machine and to start the cycle.
- Max. Speed - 15,000 RPM
- Repeatability (Max. Concentricity) - 0.0001 (Based on the quality of the collet)
- Repeatability (Max. End Lengths) - 50 millionths (1.27µ) (Based on the quality of the collet)
- Weight - 7.5lb / 3.40 kg to 13 lb/5.89 kg